Monday, May 10, 2010

Beatrice Elise - Behind the Name

My sweet girl; I pray such things for you. May you be a "bringer of joy" to all you meet. 

We have always adored the name Beatrice. Adam's grandmother bears the same name; and she has been most instrumental in his life, to honor her would bless us beyond measure. I also grew up reciting Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing with my dear friend, Brooke, and I have always admired the strength and poise of his Beatrice. 

Then came the trials, the dark days and nights... upon realization that we were expecting we revisited names with a desire for them to reflect our true gratification to our Lord and Savior for his mercy. We have been through so much and this child, this gift has truly brought us joy. 

As you might have read, the Lord drew me to 1 Samuel even before I knew of my pregnancy. Then after this miraculous discovery, I began to ask the Lord, as my mother had for each of her children, for a prayer for my child. I was again led to 1 Samuel. This child was given to God by his mother, and as a result grew up in a beautiful communing relationship with his Heavenly Father. In a time where the land was filled with darkness and not many were able to discern the Lord's voice - Samuel heard, and he followed. 

The prayer that the Lord has given me for Beatrice is as follows: that she might be sensitive to her Savior's voice and that she would always know His calling on her life. That she might not aimlessly strive for worldly success, but go forth confidently, aware of the gifts she has been given and using them to serve and glorify her Lord. That her life would be her Father's and that they would share a tender and sweet love. 

We have also wanted to acknowledge my dear mommy in some way in our daughter's name. The more we have pondered, the more it has been made clear, that we should select a name she chose for her own daughter. My middle name, Elise, she chose, and after re-reading its meaning, well, it's perfect.

The meaning of the name Beatrice is: Bringer Of Joy
The meaning of the name Elise is: Consecrated to God 

So my, Beatrice Elise, may your life be a reflection of your name. We love you. 

Here are a few photos Adam took to beautifully document 20 weeks of pregnancy. 












6 comments:

  1. Lauren, that is beautiful. Even before you announced the whole name, I somehow already knew you were going to use Elise as the middle name. I cannot wait to meet this precious girl! All of your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wonderful...I have been brought to tears during almost all entries! Praying for you and your beautiful Beatrice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I am so blessed and encouraged to read your blog. What an awesome testimony is to the God we love and serve. I am praying for you and Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heart you. this was the most passionate and beautiful thing I've ever read and the pictures just the icing on the cake. you are a doll. i look forward to hearing more about this amazing journey He's taking you on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures are just gorgeous, and the name is even more precious! It will be perfect for you little bundle of joy. Take care of yourself and relish in every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your life is a beautiful testimony to our Almighty Father and His love for His precious children. I love the prayer that He's given you for Beatrice and I've always loved that when someone was named in the Bible there was such depth and meaning behind it...Beatrice Elise is already beyond blessed! I love her already:) (and, Elise was one of our girl names picked out because it's my Mom's middle name as well!)

    ReplyDelete

_