Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Third Anniversary Present

I confirmed with our midwife this morning that we will have our ultrasound on our third anniversary - Tuesday, May 4th, 2010!

I cannot begin to describe my excitement.

Our anniversary, May 4th, many would expect to be a most treasured day; yet instead it has held many mixed memories. While I rejoice that on that day I married "bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh" I cannot separate that joy from the memory of my precious mother being wheeled in right before the ceremony and wheeled out before the reception began, a mere fragment of her radiant self remaining.

Through counseling we have grieved that day. We have come to understand that perhaps it was not as much a celebration as it was a gift. A gift to a woman wholly deserving of that most spectacular day. Her one request of us before her death was to see us married; and praise the Lord in heaven that we were able to fulfill her dream.

All that said - each year as the day marks it's presence, we are conflicted as we try to celebrate. So this year, we have decided to make this day less about our wedding three years ago, and more about the fruit of our marriage, and the sovereignty of a merciful Father.

We hope to celebrate with close friends Tuesday evening. Marking the beginning of a new "Expectant" season of living. A season full of life, hope, and joy.

I stumbled upon the song to the right today as I was doing other things. It does a beautiful job describing the love for the growing baby inside me.

I've also put up a "poll" for your guess as to whether our baby is a boy or a girl! Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Lauren. I remember your mother as a truly radiant woman, and I am sure she is as radiant as ever in heaven as she watches you and your precious baby grow during this special time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!!! I totally voted "Beatrice!"

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious gift you gave to your mother, Lauren. As I spent that day and evening with her, helping her get ready, getting her there, laying in bed with her afterwards to try and warm her cold body.....she was so filled with joy because of you and Adam.
    The laughter we had at your Dad trying to fit into his suit.......
    It truly was a memorable, special, special day.
    Much love to you,
    LA

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lord's healing hand is incredible. I pray you feel His embrace daily during this "Expectant" season.

    ReplyDelete

_