Friday, June 3, 2011

Joy through Spinach Basil Pesto with Garlic Tops

When we were first married I didn't know how to cook at all. I truly mean this. My mother tried for years to instruct, but in my pride, I wouldn't have it.

Over the past four years I have worked hard, with comical failures along the way, and now I can manage. I am so thankful for this. Many of you know how I love to share a meal with family and friends. I believe there is something about food that draws us together, begs us to linger, and soothes our frantic souls. Now that I am able to contribute to that aforementioned food, my joy has doubled.

This past week a dear friend held a birthday party, requesting her guests bring only wine and a favorite appetizer. This pesto is that. It's not always an appetizer, of course, but became one. And one of much talk; seeing as another dear friend had given us garlic tops the day before. You can read about garlic tops here. What fun that this simple food became a conduit of laughter and birthday happiness.


Thank you Kelly for the beautiful photo, now here is my simple version of this classic recipe...



Spinach Basil Pesto with Garlic Tops

Ingredients

  • 3 - 6 cups baby spinach leaves (depending on desired flavor)
  • 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (freshly grated is best)
  • 2 tablespoons garlic tops, chopped (can substitute 4 cloves chopped garlic)
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions

  1. Blend 3 cups of the spinach along with basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic tops, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a food processor until nearly smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary. Add the remaining spinach and drizzle the remaining olive oil into the mixture while processing until smooth.

1 comment:

  1. I seriously find it hard to believe that you are just learning how to really cook in the last few years. The meal you brought after Rhett's birth, which I am calling "Capers Delight" because I can't remember if it is Chicken Marvala, Chicken Marlalla, Or Chicken Magnificent.....either way...it was GOURMET deliciousness as was your pesto. I am SOOO making this. Just wondering how much will completely wreck my gut (reference corn-poo and parasite/salmonella stories from b-day ) You are a treasure and blessing in our life albeit our interludes are sporadic! Thank you for your laughter and presence at my b-day party!

    ReplyDelete

_