Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Arts and My Beatrice

Because of my mother, I have a passion for the arts. Oh, I pray, Beatrice might share this same love.

Today I had the opportunity to watch 29 children perform in a production that I was blessed to choreograph. What joy it brought me to see their smiles as they created living art. For the past six weeks I have also been able to teach the beauty of ballet to 3 & 4 year olds. How splendid it was to see their eyes sparkle as they danced their own versions of famous ballets such as "Sleeping Beauty" and "Petrushka".

Our Lord is the ultimate creator, all we must do is look around to see the "performances" that surround us. The thunder of His storms, the songs of His birds, the light of His sunsets.

My husband and I share this artistic passion, and for that I am so fortunate. Beatrice, may you grow up surrounded by beauty! A most favorite quote of ours is by Jerram Barrs, and it reads:


"Our work in any field of the arts will be imitative. We will be thinking God's thoughts after Him—painting with His colors; speaking with His gift of language; exploring and expressing His sounds and harmonies; working with His creation in all its glory, diversity, and in-built inventiveness. In addition, we will find ourselves longing to make known the beauty of life as it once was in Paradise, the tragedy of its present marring, and the hope of our final redemption. All great art will contain this element of being an echo of Eden: Eden in its original glory, Eden that is lost to us, and Eden restored."


How appropriate this statement is after my earlier post this week. This world in which we live is tragically marred, and here I am, longing to know the beauty of what once was. May the art I create always lead back to Eden! Sweet Beatrice, may you long for the day when Eden is restored. 



2 comments:

_